Slide 1 of 15
My purpose today is to use the perspective of futures studies to help you respond creatively toquestions critical to your profession in the next few years. Those questions include,
- How might library patrons/information users want information delivered twenty years from now?
- How will they use that information?
- How will access to information resources be integrated into education?
- In what areas will they need the greatest assistance in accessing and using information?
- What does that imply for collection strategies?
I cannot tell you HOW to develop collections. You are all more expert in that than I shall ever be. What I want to do is describe some potential characteristics of the next generation of library users, and how they will learn, work, play, and think.
Iíll tell you the general stories -- and then I hope you will tell me the more specific stories for libraries.