Joseph C. Rost. Leadership for the Twenty-first Century, 1993.
- 3. Leaders and followers intend real changes.
- Intend means that the leaders and followers purposefully desire certain changes;
- real means that the changes the leaders and followers intend must be substantive and transforming;
- leaders and followers do not have to produce changes in order for leadership to occur: they intend changes in the present; the changes take place in the future if they take place at all;
- leaders and followers intend several changes at once.